It seems that tags uses a 'tags' table. I am using the tags extension
(version 1.5), created by Benny Degezelle and Jim Gay. The version of
taggable that I am trying to run alongside tags is version 1.2.1,
created by you (Will). Both of these versions are the most recent
available from github.

Maybe the tags extension that I am running is the incorrect one? It's
this one:

https://github.com/jomz/radiant-tags-extension

There are various other tags extensions listed on github (though all
the others seem to be qualified for a special application, such as
navigation).

Before I go messing around with the tags extension (which I will
surely mess up even more), maybe this is simply a matter of getting
the correct tags extension. (Maybe?)

Ross