I've seen this on site5 and I'm sure its the same on other hosts if you use
an .htaccess in the root of your publid_html dir to point down to a sub dir
where you have radiant installed.

here is the pertinent section of the site5 deploy instructions, it might
help

Deploy main domain to subdirectory

Site5’s default domain points to ~/public_html/ if you currently have domain
pointers pointing to ~/public_html/foldername symlinking directly to the
public_html folder isn’t an option.

Here is a quick dirty work around.

edit / create ~/public_html/.htaccess

Options All
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^domain.tld
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/symlinkfoldername/(.*) [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /symlinkfoldername/$1

edit your environments.rb file & add the line

config.action_controller.relative_url_root = '/symlinkfoldername'

Here is a little explaination on what the above does.

requests to your main domain.tld are pointed to ~/public_html – This cannot
be changed.
The .htaccess file redirects incomming request to the symlinked folder
pointing to your public folder of your rails application.
The environments.rb file will now pick up your root url as
/symlinkfoldername
If you do not edit both files you will get a 404 stating the
domain.tld/symlinkfoldername doesn’t exist.