Hi,

In general, the NAS will only send an Accounting-Start once the session is up.
That said however, we have seen strange NAS gear that behave differently, but
its quite rare.

FWIW: I've seen this behavior on Comware based network gear (3Com/H3C/HP) and on a Huawei Quidway switch. In all cases, the device could also be configured to allow access based on Access-Accept alone, so without waiting for confirmation of the Accounting-Start. I believe it was a statement like "accounting optional".

Regards,

Jeroen van Ingen
ICT Service Centre
University of Twente, P.O.Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands