At 11:48 9/02/99 +0100, Christian Brem wrote:

>Hi Mike,
>
>A collegue of mine mentioned an interesting scenary - "byzantine"
>SQL-Servers:
>
>* Primary SQL-Server fails
>* Radiator connects to secondary
>* Primary comes up to some reason
>* Secondary fails
>* Radiator starts its quest for SQL-Servers and connects to primary again
>
>Accounting-Data will be spread across two Databases.
>
>We know that this problem will not occur to often - but we also want to be
>sure about the "failure path".
>
>If radiator detects, that the primary SQL Database is down it should never
>try to contact it again - until told so.

Well I'm not sure this is a good idea... I definitely want my radiator to
try to get back to the orimary DB if secondary fails. What we do here is
that we have a deamon getting accounting data from primary and secondary
radius DB and consolidating everything in a data warehouse. At the same
time it checks for people that have used all their minutes, it sends our
newsletter, makes some stats, ...

Stephan

at

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike McCauley) am 02/04/99 09:42:58 PM
>
>An:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christian Brem) , [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Kopie:     (Blindkopie: Christian Brem/DEBIS/EDVG/AT)
>Thema:    Re: (RADIATOR) Backup - Sql Server
>

>Hi Christian,
>
>On Feb 3,  6:59pm, Christian Brem wrote:
>> Subject: (RADIATOR) Backup - Sql Server
>>

>> Hi!
>>
>> Is it possible to use two SQL-Servers with radiator - one primary and one
>> for backup?
>Yes,
>use a setup like this:
>
><AuthBy SQL>
>          # OUr main SQL server details
>          DBSource  dbi:xxx:xxx
>          DBUsername     ????
>          DBAuth         ??
>
>          # Fallback SQL server details
>          DBSource  dbi:yyy:yyy
>          DBUsername     ????
>          DBAuth         ??
></AuthBy>
>

>> If the primary fails it should be marked dead for a certain period of
>time
>> and the backup should be used.
>It tries the first one, then the second one then etc.... until it manages
>connect to one of them. It then stays connected to that one until the SQL
>server becomes unavailable, at which time it will start searching again
>from
>the top. If it cant connect to anyone, it will IGNORE the request, allowing
>the
>NAS to do its own fallback.
>
>Hope that helps.
>
>Cheers.
>

>--
>Mike McCauley                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Open System Consultants Pty. Ltd             Unix, Motif, C++, WWW
>24 Bateman St Hampton, VIC 3188 Australia    Consulting and development
>Phone, Fax: +61 3 9598-0985                  http://www.open.com.au
>
>Radiator: the most portable, flexible and configurable RADIUS server
>anywhere. SQL, proxy, DBM, files, LDAP, NIS+, password, NT, Emerald,
>Platypus, Freeside, external, etc etc etc on Unix, Win95, NT, Rhapsody
>===
>To unsubscribe, email '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' with
>'unsubscribe radiator' in the body of the message.

The opinions expressed are personal.

"A polar bear is just a rectangular bear in a different coordinate system."