We've had to do it, and its a bitch.

We're using Redhat linux here and use a PAM aware pop daemon.

If you want to keep password/shadow files on your system then you can simply
grab the pam_pwdb and pwdblib library's and follow the docs.

If you want to get rid of password/shadow files as was our intention you
need to slightly hack the PAM source, slightly hack the pwdblib source and
then use NSS in conjunction with a slightly hacked nss_pwdb module. I've set
this up on a test machine up here and it works with all PAM aware apps
except wu-ftpd and some mail tools (pine, elm) don't work yet either.

If your not running Linux, BSD or Solaris (these are the only OS' I know
that support PAM) then your going to have to build your own interface. Have
fun!

If anyone else has succeeded in this area using a different approach, I sure
would like to hear about it.

Mail me off list if you would like some more info.

Regards,

Richard