I'm presently only using Radiator in a fairly new network (but working
to extend that to many other locations). This new network has six
sites, one directly on the Ethernet with the servers and five remote
via frame-relay. Radiator has been working like a charm on the Ethernet
site for more than a month, but the remote sites just came up last week.

What I see for these sites is a lot of failed access requests. The NAS,
a PortMaster 3, sends the request, Radiator approves it and sends back
an accept, then the NAS sends a duplicate access request about three
seconds later. Radiator ignores the duplicate request, but the NAS
sends another one a few seconds after that which is also ignored. This
is repeated several times before the user gives up. However, it isn't
consistent. About 40% of the accepts are successful, no duplicate
requests are received, and the caller is connected.

Looking at the Radiator log, it seemed clear that the accept was not
making it back to the NAS for some reason. I changed the DupInterval
parameter for Radiator to zero and now all valid callers are
authenticated successfully. The log file still indicates that there are
duplicate requests but now they are being ignored. Eventually, usually
after two or three failures, the NAS hears the accept and the caller is
connected.

This makes no sense to me. We are using PortMaster 3s in over a hundred
sites around the world and have never seen this problem. But only in
this one network are we using Radiator. The network itself does not
seem a candidate for the problem; it is almost completely unloaded
still and the accepts did sometimes work. BTW, I saw no failures of
accounting requests. Maybe the NAS doesn't care about getting a reply
for those?

What problems will we experience if I leave the DupInterval set to
zero? Or, alternatively, are there any other suggestions for how to
solve this problem?
--
        Dave Close              Quik Internet
        +1 949 548 2171         Costa Mesa California