On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Hugh Irvine wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Aug 1999, Neale Banks wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > For some attributes (especially timeouts) I want to add a "default" value
> > iff the attribute is not specified in the user's record (if it is
> > specified, we just use what's in the user's record.
> >
> > Can I do this with AddToReply (docs don't mention conditional adding), or
> > will it be necessary to do something more convoluted in a Hook?
>
> You should probably use "DefaultReply"
> (Section 6.14.8 in the 2.14.1 manual).

Thanks Hugh.  I saw that one, but the manual says "it adds attributes to
an Access-Accept _only_ if there would otherwise be no reply attributes."
which I read as saying that the reply had to be totally void of A-V pairs.

Perhaps I'm tackling this the wrong way?  The underlying requirement is
to be able to set per-NAS defaults for some items (e.g. idle timeouts)
but have these over-ridable by explicit entries in a user's record (e.g.
long/disabled idle timeout for "permanent" users).  My thinking was to
have a Handler that added to the reply for specific A-V pairs _only_ if
that A-V pair was not present in the user's reply.

Thanks,
Neale.