To follow up my own posting... I found one way that works, a PostAuthHook:

# drop an h323 return code of 1 (auth failed) into the reply if it is
# an access reject or reject_immediate - SWH hack for debitcard script

PostAuthHook sub { ${$_[1]}->add_attr('cisco-h323-return-code', \
                                             'h323-return-code=1') \
                                               if (${$_[2]} == $main::REJECT) \
                                                 || (${$_[2]} ==
$main::REJECT_IMMEDIATE)}

Which gets the job done, but I don't see why attributes generated as
part of a reject shouldn't wind up in the return packet. Maybe it's
how I'm rejecting the user (a DEFAULT entry in a users file which
says 'Auth-Type = Reject')?

Also, as a comment about the docs (Hi Mike), the example PostAuthHook
in the manual (which the above is a shameless copy/adaptation of)
doesn't mention that the REJECT code might be REJECT_IMMEDIATE, not
just plain old REJECT. That had me fooled for a while! :)

Perhaps the docs could make a reference in that section to a complete
list of possible values of x for $main::x ...

Cheers,
   Simon

---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777