This could become an interesting bandwagon to ride...

The Theory of Middle-Out Economics - Public Works
http://www.publicworks.org/the-theory-of-middle-out-economics/
(via Instapaper)

Which comes first—economic growth or economic inclusion? The prominent
trickle-down theory of economics says growth, fueled by the investments of the
rich, creates inclusion (i.e., more jobs, better pay, and a bigger middle
class). But Nick Hanauer, a Seattle entrepreneur, and David Rolf, a venture
capitalist, say that’s all wrong. In their article for Democracy Journal, they
argue for the “middle-out” explanation of growth:

In the technological economy of the twenty-first century, growth and prosperity
are the consequences of a virtuous cycle between innovation and demand.
Innovation is how we solve problems and raise living standards, while consumer
demand is how markets distribute and incentivize innovation. It is social,
civic, and economic inclusion—the full, robust participation of as many people
as possible—that drives both innovation and demand. And inclusion requires
policies that secure a thriving middle class.

The trickle-down theory—the one that lionizes the rich as “job
creators”—insists that the American middle class is a consequence of growth,
and that only if and when we have growth can we afford to include more people
in our economy. But trickle-down has it exactly backwards: Properly understood,
the middle class is the source of all growth and prosperity in a modern
technological economy, and economic security is the essential feature of what
it means to be included in the middle class.

Economic security is what frees us from the fear that one job loss, one
illness—one economic downturn amidst a business cycle guaranteed to produce
economic downturns—could cost us our home, our car, our family, and our social
status. It’s what grants us permission to invest in ourselves and in our
children, and to purchase the non-subsistence goods and experiences that make
our lives healthier, happier, and more fulfilling. It gives us the confidence
to live our lives with the realistic expectation of a more prosperous and
stable economic future, and to take the entrepreneurial risks that are the
lifeblood of a vibrant market economy. A secure middle class is the cause of
growth, not its effect; in fact, our economy cannot reach its full potential
without it. And a middle class that lives in constant fear of falling out of
the middle class isn’t truly middle class at all.

Hanauer and Rolf call for a new social contract for today’s society. It would
include the proration of employment benefits for part-time workers, the
portability of those benefits from one job to the next, and a universal set of
benefit and labor standards. They also advocate for paid leave, a livable
minimum wage, overtime pay, pay equity, and fair scheduling.

Sent from my iPhone

Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community
<RadicalCentrism@googlegroups.com>
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/RadicalCentrism
Radical Centrism website and blog: http://RadicalCentrism.org

---
"Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community" group.
to radicalcentrism+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.