http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57fd00dde4b068ecb5e1c971

This Philosopher Has Reimagined Identity and Morality for a Secular Age
Charles Taylor, winner of the first $1 million Berggruen Prize for philosophy,
has helped reshape debates on what it is to be human.

Craig Calhoun President, Berggruen Institute

Neville Elder via Getty Images

One of the world’s most respected philosophers has just won the $1 million
Berggruen Prize. Is this news you can use?

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is. The prize has been given to Charles Taylor, an
exceptional thinker whose work can be of value both personally and in public
life. In his native Canada, Taylor was a founder of the New Democratic Party,
shaped debates and policy on immigration and ethnic politics, and played an
important role in keeping Quebec part of Canada but with special status
recognizing its distinctive culture. Taylor is of global influence as a
Catholic thinker, a leader on the social democratic left and a spokesperson for
combining rather than opposing liberalism and defense of community. His
publications will reward readers with very different interests from personal
identity to the challenges of modern democracy to religion in a secular age.

This guide is far from comprehensive. It points to some good places to start
engaging with one of our era’s greatest thinkers. Perhaps most notably, in
connection to the Berggruen Prize, Taylor has helped reshape debates on what it
is to be human and how culture and politics matter in human existence.

The Self

A lot of criticisms are leveled at modern Western individualism. Taylor
acknowledges that it can seem narrow, shallow and too focused on instrumental
self-interest. Still, he refuses simple negativity. The modern idea of self
brought new richness and freedoms to human life. It not only built on
foundations like St. Augustine’s articulation of a sense of interior space and
the importance of memory. It also added distinctive dimensions that opened it
to embrace equality in ways ancient thought had not. That we struggle for
meaning and purpose in our lives is an indication of the potential opened for
us.

Taylor’s “Sources of the Self” traces the development of this modern
understanding of what it means to be a person and explores its positive
contributions and possibilities as well as its limits and potential weaknesses.
The story proceeds in several phases. The era of the Protestant Reformation
(and the Catholic response, which was never simply resistance) played an
important role. So did Enlightenment celebration of reason, applied to
self-knowledge and linked to the idea of self-mastery.

But Taylor places a special emphasis on Jean-Jacques Rousseau and the
Romantics. These built on earlier traditions like romantic love and integrated
emotions and aesthetics into their accounts of the human self and embraced
nature in newly positive ways. Rousseau helped make living in accord with
nature into an ideal (in place of mastering nature and escaping from “baser”
instincts or fallen character). Johann Gottfried Herder argued that human
nature is not a determining force but a range of possibilities and capacities
demanding expression. So basic is the notion of self-expression that moderns
can hardly think of the self without it. This transformed the Christian idea of
vocation or calling and underpinned a new idea of equality based on recognition
of difference.

Language was a crucial medium for this expression, along with art, religion,
action and ethical relationships. Humanity expressed itself differently in
different cultures and even person by person. This diversity was not determined
by a fixed human nature; it was made available by the natural capacities of
human beings. Working out its implications is a basic task for human beings,
both at the level of cultural differences and in individual life. So is
reconciling what might be called the Enlightenment and Romantic sides of the
modern self: the pursuit of both self-knowledge and self-mastery and
distinctive self-expression and authenticity.

“Sources” is an intellectual history, but with broader intent. All of Taylor’s
major books embed arguments in histories because he wants to show human beings
as a process of becoming, not simply determined by nature. We face new
circumstances and also face recurrent dilemmas, enriched by a growing range of
intellectual and moral resources. Through tracing how modern thinking about the
self developed, Taylor demonstrates both how powerfully ideas can shape our
lives and that there are always multiple possibilities for how they can be put
to use.

For example, individualism and a focus on the self became associated with
secularism. But it was advanced by 17th century religious thinkers as part of a
more personal relationship with God, manifested in individual prayer and
supported by autonomous interpretation of the Bible. Religious devotion both
influenced the development of the modern self and was transformed by it.

Likewise, individualism is often linked with greed and self-interest. Homo
economicus is a modern conception. Relatedly, a prominent line of development
in the modern self cast it as “punctual” as though each of us is a finite and
bounded unit and like the points of geometry, a member of various sets like
nations or humanity as a whole. Taylor doesn’t deny this but shows that among
the sources of the modern self was also a moral revolution in which “ordinary
happiness” in this material world was given a positive value not simply opposed
to otherworldly spiritualism. This was linked to recognizing lay professions as
comparably important to the priesthood, valuing the family more and with it,
recognizing and extending childhood as a stage of human development. Neither
families nor professions are simply sets of altogether discrete individuals. So
we have also resources for recovering more relational, socially embedded
understandings of the self.

As part of telling this story, Taylor offers important lessons on how ideas
change, emphasizing how seldom they simply move from right to wrong but rather
tend to resolve certain weaknesses, as well as introduce other potential
issues. This can result in overall movement from worse to better, but there are
always different possible paths as the meaning of ideas evolves and escapes
their originators’ intentions. We face choices. We can limit individualism to
notions of self-interest and necessity, but we don’t have to. After all, it
also shaped development of the notion of human rights. How we judge this or
other ideas will reflect our “horizons of evaluation” including both what we
think is possible and what we think is good. Our strongest commitments put
other preferences into perspective.

Authenticity and Recognition

The theme of what it means to be a person, a human being, runs through Taylor’s
life’s work. It is enormously important in an era of great transformations.
Definitions of the human and the self are challenged today by technological
innovations from artificial intelligence to gene editing. They are also
important to figuring out what ethics and policies should guide those new
technologies. And not least, we live in a world where projects of personal
identity are as influential as economic self-interest or old ideologies in
shaping politics. This is true in “progressive” forms like the transformation
of gender and sexual identities and claims to equal rights. And it is true in
“conservative” forms like the claims to national and communal identities
defended today by populist movements.

Taylor has been one of the most influential shapers of our understanding of
such “politics of identity.” These reflect, he argued, a human need for
recognition. We don’t simply exist and have identities, each sufficient in
ourselves. We develop identities in social contexts, and we seek recognition of
the legitimacy of our identities from others. As Taylor wrote in 1994, “We
define our identity always in dialogue with, sometimes in struggle against, the
things our significant others want to see in us. Even after we outgrow some of
these others ― our parents, for instance ―and they disappear from our lives,
the conversation with them continues within us as long as we live.”

This makes questions of identity personally significant and refusals of
acceptance and respect deeply challenging. This extends to identities that can
also be politically mobilized like nationality, race, ethnicity, gender or
sexuality. “Due recognition is not just a courtesy we owe people. It is a vital
human need. To treat people with dignity and respect, we need to take full
account of their varied social situations. This is especially important
vis-a-vis those whose identities have been systematically degraded and whose
rights to be treated as equals have been neglected.”

The politics of identity and recognition are reinforced by another central
theme in modern culture: a value of “authenticity.” A strong horizon of
evaluation for many moderns is to be “true to themselves.” This is linked to
imaging ― we each have an inner essence, recasting the older idea of individual
soul. People often think of this as their “nature,” and it can be problematic
when it encourages people to regard relationships as disposable or to imagine
that being true to themselves demands being inflexible. But for Taylor, these
are debased versions of an idea with much positive ethical potential. Our
deepest selves are constituted by our strongest values and commitments and are
shaped by the most significant relationships of our lives. We can approach
authenticity as an orienting ideal, aware both that we don’t always fully
understand our own deepest commitments and that we often fail to live up to
them. Moreover, recognizing that everyone has their own way of being human
facilitates respect for individuals, but also for different cultures.

The effort to be an authentic person gives modern people a propensity to be
“seekers.” The idea of trying to “find yourself” wouldn’t have made as much
sense in many other eras. It is closely related to freedom from restrictions
and the material availability of options, for example in the choice of
occupations, politics or social movements. Taylor uses the term “seekers” to
describe the large number of people who describe themselves as religious or
spiritual but not committed to any one organized religion. This suggests
something of an ambivalence with which he thinks moderns live, which can be
troubling but is also ethically liberating and often creative. We often seek
identification with existing communities and cultures, but we also, to an
unprecedented degree, think of ourselves as choosing among them. And we change
them. What happened to the “politics of identity” reflects this. Early usage
often suggested that identities were malleable, and there was fluidity in how
they were to be valued, inhabited, combined. But often, the politics of
identity became a more rigid demand for respect for supposedly fixed and
essential identities.

Quebec is never far from Taylor’s mind when he thinks of the politics of
identity and recognition. He grew up with a Francophone mother and an
Anglophone father. From early in life, he was committed to a multicultural
vision for the province and for Canada, convinced that instead of being “two
solitudes,” Canada’s major linguistic and cultural communities could enrich
each other. When he was named to Oxford’s prestigious Chichele professorship in
1975, he decided he would only stay five years, at least partly because he
wanted to return to Montreal and make sure his daughters had the chance to grow
up bilingual. He helped to articulate the rationale for Quebec’s special status
in Canada. But he also campaigned to keep Quebec part of Canada, arguing that
with proper care and mutual respect, pluralist societies could be richer and
stronger than those seeking an integriste conformity.

Taylor extends this point more generally. To be true to yourself need not mean
either standing apart or trying to share a singular identity only with others
just like you. It can and usually should mean recognizing diverse interests and
commitments in yourself, being open to a sense of possibility and guided by
strong (though corrigible) convictions. One of Taylor’s most important points
is that we don’t just “have” selves ― we have the potential and usually the
desire to be better selves.

Language and the Human Sciences

Like almost every other path of engagement with Taylor’s work, the politics of
recognition and the ethics of authenticity bring us back to what it means to be
human. Language is core to that. Taylor isn’t interesting simply in
distinguishing humans from other animals by the capacity for language (and of
course we know, as 17th and 18th century thinkers didn’t, the extent to which
other animals are capable of language). Taylor’s concerns, rather, are the
extent to which language makes us who we are, the fact that we have language
only by sharing it and that we use language expressively, not just
instrumentally.

Language, for Taylor, is constitutive of human being; we are language animals.
Taylor expands on the famous Sapir–Whorf hypothesis, showing how basic language
and culture are to the ways in which we know other human beings and indeed the
material world. This is one reason why cross-cultural understanding requires
mutual learning, not just translation. It is also among the reasons why
interpretation is basic to the human sciences.

Important currents in behavioral and social science have been driven by a
desire to achieve “objectivity” by disengaging from interpretation. Of course,
knowledge of humans includes many “objective” elements from physiology to
demography. But it cannot be complete ― or wise ― on these bases alone. Humans
are not altogether objective and transparent even to themselves. Take voting.
One may objectively observe people raising hands or shouting “aye” and “nay” in
a meeting, but one can’t make sense of this as voting without knowing more
about a linguistically constituted practice and the background of a culture in
which it is pervasive. Within that culture, researchers can take the background
for granted, but the need for interpretation becomes evident as soon as they
step outside that basis for consensus interpretations. Cultures vary and no
analyst’s knowledge escapes culture. Like other human practices, moreover,
voting often expresses meanings that go beyond manifest, instrumental decisions.

Language enables us to reflect and plan and engage in agency, not only reactive
behavior. This was a key point in Taylor’s first major work, where he showed
why deterministic explanations of behavior (like B.F. Skinner’s behaviorism)
must be inadequate to human action. Speaking is an example. It draws on a
background resource ― language ― available to us only because we are not
completely discrete individuals. But speaking is an action or more precisely, a
practice.

Taylor illustrates this point by building on Wittgenstein’s famous account of
following a rule. To follow a rule depends not just on knowing the rule itself
in some objective sense (as a matter of premises and propositions, to use the
technical philosophical terms). It depends also on a tacit background of
knowledge that is never rendered entirely explicit. To use Wittgenstein’s term,
rules and the capacity to follow them are embedded in “forms of life” ― or,
loosely, cultures. But here it is crucial to understand cultures as something
more than themselves catalogs of rules or formal structures. Starting with
language, they are webs of meaning that people do not merely decode but inhabit
and enact. One does not speak French merely by mastering the rules of French
grammar (and of course, few Frenchmen can state those rules in much detail). To
speak French is a practice, and competency is achieved by habituation,
internalization, making it part of oneself. Likewise, to follow a rule is a
practice that both depends on culture and expresses it ― whether it is as
seemingly simple as traffic rules or as complex as the injunction to treat
other human beings as ends rather than means.

This argument is pitched against narrow Cartesianism, with its starting point
of a solipsistic “I think therefore I am,” and the whole related project of
epistemology as a matter of abstract reason. Taylor elaborates it now partly
because advances in computational technology have encouraged the spread of new
mechanistic, entirely instrumental explanations of human thought and action.
These reflect what Taylor (following Heidegger) calls an “enframing” approach –
treating language simply as a tool for communication and as external to the
reality it names or describes. Such views encourage reductionism toward human
beings as well as language.

Social Imaginaries and a Secular Age

An enframing perspective neglects not only the constitutive role of language
but also the power of imagination in shaping human life. This enables us to
reach beyond what is immediately evident to our senses. We are able, for
example, to form and act on aspirations for the future. Imagination, like
language, also gives shape to the world. Much of “reality” exists in the way it
does partly because of how it is imagined. This is not just a free-for-all of
individual creativity; wishing does not make things so. But there are socially
organized ways of imagining the world. Taylor describes several such
“imaginaries” that help produce and reproduce the modern world: the idea of a
generalized market is one of the most powerful. So is the idea of “the people”
critical to democracy and also to legitimacy in other political systems.
Business corporations and nations exist partially through the ways they are
imagined.

Imagining modernity as a secular age is equally fundamental. This commonly
involves what Taylor terms a “subtraction story.” Religion used to be a bigger
part of human life and culture, but in the modern era, there has been
progressive disenchantment; fewer people declare themselves believers; religion
loses most of its public role; science replaces religion as the basis for
authoritative knowledge. Taylor acknowledges these changes, but insists they
can’t be well understood simply as subtractions that don’t entail
transformation of culture more generally. Religion’s role changes as people
reimagine what the world, human life and knowledge are like. How moderns
understand personhood, moral obligations or the place of material well-being in
a good life are all changed; religion is not simply subtracted from them.

One of the most dramatic changes is the rise of what Taylor calls “the immanent
frame.” This is the notion that everything in the world is part of a natural
order understandable without reference to anything outside itself and simply as
a matter of causal relationships. This isn’t simply a truth modern people
discovered; neither is it false. It is part of a secular social imaginary. It
is one way of understanding and giving form to the world and human life. Within
the immanent frame, ideas about transcendence are either errors or simply
unnecessary to achieving empirically verifiable knowledge. This understanding
of the world has proved enormously productive in the rise of modern science. It
has been limiting in spiritual life. It has also shaped an approach to the
environment as simply a matter of cost, effect, resources and use ― at odds
with a notion of more transcendent value.

Indeed, within this immanent frame, values themselves tend to be understood
simply as more or less arbitrary subjective states of individuals. Nature
doesn’t have a value ― we either value it, or we don’t. Similarly, we may value
human life more or less, but as a matter of cause-and-effect relationships,
human beings don’t have intrinsic value. We see quickly that the immanent frame
thus shaped not only the successes of modern science but also some of its
dangerous moments. These may have been deviations from a more moral scientific
ethos that includes ideas like not doing harm but these moral ideas generally
come from outside the immanent frame. Today, the immanent frame is also
challenged by the notion that human beings are radically transforming what
seemed to be an entirely natural order ― whether through climate change or gene
editing.

These are among the reasons why the secular age wasn’t simply the end of
history so far as religion and spiritual life were concerned. Many people feel
a need for a more spiritual compass to organize their personal lives and
navigate the great transformations of our era. Some turn to renewal of older
religions. Others become seekers exploring new forms of spiritual and moral
engagement. There are so many, headed in so many different directions, that
Taylor describes a “supernova.”

Once again, Taylor narrates an intellectual history in which there are gains,
losses and possibilities for recovering what at some points appeared as paths
closed off. A secular perspective grew first among religious people, for most
of whom it was part of a deepening and more explicit religious faith ― notably
in the 16th and 17th centuries. As modern science and states offered more
control over matters in the material world, religion was called on as a guide.
But in time, more and more thinkers distinguished questions of value on which
religion could offer guidance from questions of fact and explanation. Many had
a sense that to face the great transformations of a new era, religious
innovation was required. Those who made the innovations didn’t imagine that for
others, they would become part of a path away from religion ― any more than
creators of modern technologies imagined that living in a world that felt
technologically overpowered would lead many to seek a renewed spirituality.

Religion, thus, isn’t simply a matter of holding different abstract
intellectual commitments from others, believing in the factuality of different
propositions. It is participating in a different way of imagining the world.
This can include achievements of modernity and the cause-and-effect systems in
which they are embedded but isn’t limited to that. Reaching beyond might be
based on belief in a higher power like God. It might also be based on
commitment to a good higher-than-mere-instrumental human flourishing, like love
(especially in the sense of agape). We have moved “from a society where belief
in God is unchallenged and indeed, unproblematic, to one in which it is
understood to be one option among others and frequently not the easiest to
embrace.” But even if religion becomes in some sense harder, it doesn’t vanish
and religious experience may even gain new dimensions.

Taylor’s monumental “A Secular Age” is perhaps the single most influential work
ever published on the phenomena of secularity (as well as the ideology of
secularism). Ranging from the poetic to the social scientific to the deeply
philosophical, it mobilized Taylor’s astonishing historical learning to advance
understanding of what it means to live in a modern world. It has rightly
transformed discussions in fields from sociology to history, anthropology and
religious studies.

Charles Taylor’s approach to philosophy is always shaped by deep ethical
commitments and public concerns. He addresses technical intellectual problems,
but he is never interested in them only as technical problems. He writes
accessibly. He travels widely, not simply to speak to audiences about arguments
he regards as conclusively settled but to engage in discussions that are always
potential occasions for intellectual advancement ― and he listens patiently to
the most naïve questions, treating each as though it might contain an important
new idea. Taylor’s approach also brings philosophy into the full range of human
sciences and brings the more empirical humanities and social science into
philosophy. It must be so, he seems to suggest, if the study of philosophy is
truly to pursue wisdom.

The founders of the Berggruen Prize describe it as “awarded annually to a
thinker whose ideas are of broad significance for shaping human
self-understanding and advancement.” It’s hard to imagine a more appropriate
first recipient than Charles Taylor.

Editor’s note: The WorldPost is a partnership between the Berggruen Institute
and The Huffington Post.

Sent from my iPhone

Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community
<RadicalCentrism@googlegroups.com>
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/RadicalCentrism
Radical Centrism website and blog: http://RadicalCentrism.org

---
"Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community" group.
to radicalcentrism+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.