Thanks Billy.  This is a useful article.

Chris

From: BILROJ via Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community
[mailto:RadicalCentrism@googlegroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2016 8:42 PM
To: radicalcentrism@googlegroups.com
Cc: bil...@aol.com
Subject: [RC] The artfulness of the deal

johndierckx.wordpress.com/2009

 <https://johndierckx.wordpress.com/2009/08/19/negotiation-tips-from-george/>
AUGUST 19, 2009 BY  <https://johndierckx.wordpress.com/author/johndierckx/>
JOHNDIERCKX

NEGOTIATION TIPS FROM GEORGE

Since the series THE APPRENTICE we all know him as  “George”, Donald Trump’s
right hand man. Ever since Trump wrote “The Art of the Deal,” he has been the
world’s most famous negotiator – even though he didn’t reveal his deal-making
secrets.

In Trump-Style Negotiation, George Ross explains the tactics that took Trump to
the top and how anyone can use those same tactics and strategies to get ahead
in business. This is not a book of stories about negotiations. It is an actual,
practical hands-on book to use every day – at work and/or in your personal
live. Based on years of experience and true business wisdom, this is the
ultimate book for anyone who wants to negotiate like a proven winner.

About one and a half year ago, I stumbled on this book in which George H. Ross
takes the reader along several aspects of negotiation. This post documents some
of the highlights I shared with my colleagues after reading this book. I am now
sharing these with you.

George lays out some of his strategies behind several critical negotiations for
Trump and other real estate moguls:

*       Build trust, friendship and satisfaction with the other side.
*       Discover what the other side wants, determine their weaknesses and
uncover valuable information.
*       Convince the other side that they are getting more than they expected.
*       Use pace, timing, deadlines, deadlocks, and delays to your advantage.
*       Employ psychological negotiation tactics.
*       Become an expert on the topic you are negotiating or ensure you have
expert knowledge available and at hand. (hmm, that reminds me of
<https://johndierckx.wordpress.com/2009/08/15/seths-blog-willfully-ignorant-vs-aggressively-skeptical/>
 Seth Godin more recently).
*       Be flexible and consider multiple solutions to every impasse.
*       Use planning and information management tools to help you get the best
results.

Six Important Negotiation and Deal-making Techniques
George H. Ross Summarizes his book by providing the following six most
important deal-making and negotiating techniques:

1.      Keep exceptional records.
This keeps coming back throughout the book and he clarifies his method of
keeping what he calls a “dealbook” this will be outlined later in this file
note. The side best prepared is the side that will usually get the best
results. Taking extensive notes is part of that process and serves as a safety
net as well. Where you are able to refer back to specific discussions on a
specific date and time you will have a very compelling argument.
2.      Develop your own forms and create an aura of legitimacy.
The side that prepares the documents decides what goes in and what stays out.
The aura often seems to flow just from the mere existence the document itself.
It implicitly says things as “business as usual”, “we always do it this way and
if it is good enough for others why not for you?” In addition to this the other
side will have the onus of finding out what is not in there and because your
provided the documents it makes it harder for the other party to change the
deal. Documents –> Control.
3.      If you can use company policy as a negotiation tool.
The simple presentation of the argument “that’s our company policy” will very
often put an end to any arguments. This argument is rarely probed to find out
whether or such a policy actually exists and if any what flexibility there is
in this policy.
4.      Be willing to take calculated risks.
The emphasis in this is on ‘calculated’. Calculated risks may be taken at times
since you play to win. When you take such risks however you should be willing
to live with the potential consequences. The one that is prepared to take such
calculated risks is usually the advantaged party.
5.      Use time as the ultimate negotiation weapon.
Make sure that you control the delays, deadlines and deadlocks and where you
are aware of the deadlines of others, you can use them to your advantage. Avoid
at all times that the other side uses time against you.
6.      Make and use general commitments to gain concessions.
Commitments of a general nature such as “I will see this through till we reach
some agreement’ create a moral commitment not to walk away. You should expect
reciprocity.

Discipline Rules: Prepare, Plan and Document
There is a human tendency to enter negotiations without a detailed plan or
strategy for getting what you want. The more prepared you enter into
negotiations the better your chances of getting a good result. The more info
you have about the people on the other side the greater your advantage
throughout the negotiations. A game plan is vital and makes you prepared for
not just knowing where you want to go but also to prepare you for potential
contingencies along the road. The process shows some
<https://johndierckx.wordpress.com/2009/08/18/preparation-and-patience-go-a-long-way-interviewing-a-scamster/>
 similarities to what was outlined in a previous post on interviewing scammers.

Questions that need answers in advance are amongst others:

*       What do you plan to say?
*       How do you plan to react to what the other side may say?
*       What if the talks come to a standstill?
*       What concessions are you willing to make?
*       What do you expect from the other side?
*       Who will you be negotiating with and what motivates them?

Two key power tools are preparation and organization.

How to Prepare

Know Who You Are Dealing With (WHOIS+): Due Diligence
The first important step is knowing who your adversaries are:

*       What are their backgrounds?
*       Do they have a track record and what is that telling you?
*       Has anyone you know dealt with them before?
*       Reputation?

Use available sources internet, business directories, associations and third
parties and other available sources to obtain information and use this to your
advantage. Also during the negotiations make note of new information. At all
times keep asking probing questions to find out as much as you can about the
other party. Make sure you have a good set of documentation in relation to the
deal you are trying to make and have it with you on meetings and readily
available in other communications such as phone calls and conferences.

Printed Documents create an aura of legitimacy.
When you go into a meeting take everything you may need in terms of documents
along, so you can refer back to them.

Your most powerful tool; a Deal Book
George Ross basically distinguishes between a “general ledger” or “journal” and
you use it to record all things that happen during your day. It is important
that it is associated with a filing system because that way you can ensure that
vital information is preserved and retrieved easily and readily.

George Ross makes a compelling case for keeping deal book: a checklist and
organizer in one. The deal book, contrary to the normal journal is dedicated to
one specific deal and in that sense more of a case specific journal, case and
information management system. Keeping such a deal book takes a lot of time,
thought and effort but it gets easier and easier once adopted as a habit and it
enables you to keep detailed oversight where deals are longer running
processes. Besides that it enables you to delegate negotiations and ensures
that the party taking over is completely informed.

Things to record in the deal book:

*       Checklist of negotiation points (or things to cover during the project)
*       What has been agreed upon
*       What is still open for discussion
*       Claims and promises made by the other party and yourself
*       A We-They List: a side by side listing of the points under negotiation
or coming up for negotiation with the position of the parties such as price,
timeframe to close the deal/deadlines, compromises
*       A wish list: a summary of what you want to get out of it and a
prioritization of these wishes, so where required you can give in on some
minors to win the important ones
*       A POST document: post stands for Persons, Objectives, Strategies,
Tactics. Before you enter the arena you should have this completed for each
meeting.

Persons:

*       Role or level of authority
*       Background information on the person

Objectives

*       What is the objective or purpose of the meeting?
*       Define it in a measurable objective!

Strategy

*       How to appear, demeanor, point of view (excitement, boredom, enthusiasm)
*       Good Cop / Bad Cop
*       Note Taker along?

Tactics

*       Allocation of roles and responsibilities on your team and who will be
responsible for the implementation of which strategy.
*       Reviews of every meeting or phone/skype call. Document what went on
during the meeting, what was discussed, agreed upon, not agreed upon, newly
introduced facts, changed positions, and everything else that was important.
*       Was the objective achieved and if not why not?
*       What went well and what went not well?
*       Do any of my assumptions need revision?
*       How should I schedule and time the next meeting?
*       What should happen with my notes?

It is an appropriate tactic and/or technique to provide the other party a
summary and status of the negotiations in longer running projects. By providing
this you keep the control of what goes in and what stays out. Most often the
other side just takes these for granted an never reads them anyway but it
provides you the stronger argument when the other party tries to change
position at a later stage. By documenting the progress to a certain point it
has a tendency to become fact and makes it very difficult for the other party
to disagree on these points later in the negotiations. You do not need to do
this after each meeting, you can use this approach at certain milestones.

Documents Rule
It is strongly recommended that you prepare yourself also by having an
appropriate level of documentation available. Depending on the nature of the
project this could entail:

*       MOU/LOI
*       NDA
*       Business plan/ proposal including “standard agreement” (for instance
“standard” joint venture agreement or “standard” agency agreement or
partnership agreement)
*       Supplementary documents (research reports, financial documentation,
legal opinions, letters of recommendation or references and appraisals)

You may not necessarily use them but you come across as prepared and when you
need them you have them.

All I can say is that the book is a definite recommend for those that want to
develop or brush up their negotiation skills. It has helped me tremendously in
my own work in the last year and a half; in negotiating contracts, in fraud
interviews (especially extended ones that were performed over more than one
session), in negotiating settlements or other out of court solutions for my
clients.........

There is something in there for everyone. Life is all about negotiations so
make sure you get as good at it as you can. This book will most certainly
contribute to that.

Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community
<RadicalCentrism@googlegroups.com <mailto:RadicalCentrism@googlegroups.com> >
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/RadicalCentrism
Radical Centrism website and blog: http://RadicalCentrism.org

---
"Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community" group.
to radicalcentrism+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
<mailto:radicalcentrism+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com> .