A few details should be added to the rough sketch of the story that has been
told

so far.   Dumuzi (Tammuz) was primarily known for his animal husbandry as

the overseer and owner of an estate. Specifically he was a sheep herder,

that is, a shepherd. That was not all he did, surely there was an orchard

of some kind, and in all probability he grew barley, as did most Sumerians

who owned land, but sheep were central to everything else as I understand

the story.

This is important to know inasmuch as the motif of religious-leader-as-shepherd

is central to the New Testament much later in time. But there are no shepherds

as such, not that I know about, either among the Hebrew prophets or among

the original leadership of the Christian movement, including Christ.

The one actual shepherd in Western religious leadership  tradition

happens to be  Dumuzi.

Did Dumuzi / Tammuz traditions survive that long?  Heck, they have survived

to the 21st century. There still is a Jewish month of Tamuz, for example.

And how many men do you know who are named Thomas?  The etymology

of that name, Thomas, is none other than Tammuz.  Maybe this doesn't mean

too terribly much, Martin Luther's name, Martin, derives from the Roman

God of war, Mars, but traditions can persists even when we are unaware

of their origins.

About Dumuzi,  there is general agreement among scholars that his particular

story is an amalgam.  A Sumerian religious "orthodoxy" was in place no later

than the Ur III era (think 2000 BC or thereabouts) and it clearly combined

disparate sub-plots that once had been central to various city states, each

of which had some claim to Dumizi's legacy as their part of Sumerian
civilization.

In this context it should be noted that Dumuzi was also lord of the

"tree of like," namely, as Sumerians understood it, the date palm.

Dumuzi was also associated with alcoholic beverages, especially beer,

for which the Sumerians had a reputation and exported quantities

as part of their trade networks. They also were noted for their

fine wines, but about that drink, the deity to refer to was

Inanna's sister (later deified), Geshtinanna. What does any

of this have to do with Christ?  Well, what if I told you

that the first "signs" of Jesus' ministry were revealed in the

context of a get together at which large quantities of wine

were served?  That, of course, is exactly what the second chapter

of the Gospel of John says; the setting was the wedding at Cana.

As far as the narrative had gone yesterday was the information that

Dumuzi was attacked by marauders as he worked his estate; he later died

as a result of his injuries at the hands of these "bandits" or "soldiers"  -how
best

to characterize the raiders is uncertain.

News of Dumuzi's death reached Inanna and she was inconsolable.  As was

her sister Geshtinanna, and Dumuzi's mother.  Hence began the tradition

each July of women weeping and wailing for Dumuzi  /  Tammuz.

This was in a religious context as part of the belief system.

So what?

I'll tell you so what.

First, a weeping and wailing tradition has continued into modern times among
Jews,

although, to be sure,  since late Biblical times this has been limited to men
only.

Regardless, it is clear enough that the tradition began in Mesopotamia.  But

there was a "men only" variant, namely self flagellation.  This is a well known

custom among the Shiah of Iraq and to a lesser extent in Iran. It is also

a tradition among the so-called Penitentes of New Mexico, Spain,

and the Philippines.   But as far as most Catholics are concerned

this is some sort of penultimate Christian observance. Actually, it is not.

The origins date to Uruk some time after 2650 BC in the context

of the death of Dumuzi.

Well, sure, you may say, "but I believe in the Bible and it does not concern
me"?

Uh, huh.  Here is a little Bible verse; it would be nice if you explained things

in some way that makes good sense....

Ezekiel 8: 14 has the prophet visiting the temple in Jerusalem; "and there I saw

women sitting and wailing for Tammuz."  Look it up; I am not inventing anything.

To be certain, Ezekiel did not like this one little bit; he was very unhappy
about it.

But this begs the question: How in the world did that happen?   The Jews of the
time

did not invent things either; they got the idea from somewhere. And just as
clearly,

it meant something important to many Jewish women.  Actually, it would be

better to say "Hebrew women" since strict monotheistic Judaism was not current

at the time.  I am convinced of the findings of the late Raphael Patai that

strict monotheism was the product of events after the era of Amos, and that

Moses, while he may have had beliefs that may be called "proto-monotheistic"

was not a pure monotheist himself.  He did, for instance, regard the religious

cult object Nehushtan as a vital part of his spiritual observances, and the

strict monotheists of a much later time had Nehushtan destroyed as an

unwelcome example of idolatry, but let's not get lost in this thicket....

In point of fact, in other words, Tammuz worship was present in Jerusalem

and it involved a good number of Hebrew women and, presumably,

some number of Hebrew men.

"But I believe in the Bible and this does not concern me"?  I presume that

Ezekiel is in your version of the Bible. Besides, there is more to consider.

Like, exactly how is it that an entire OT book has the name Ishtar

as its title?  For that is exactly what "Esther" means. Indeed, the name

Esther was used by those Mesopotamians who lived in what is now

Diyala province in Iraq, as the local variant of the name.  Her uncle,

who figures prominently in that story, was Mordecai.  Scholars

have long known that his name is simply the Hebrew variant

of Marduk, the Babylonian version of Enlil / El / Yahweh.

About the book of Esther there is a great deal to be said,

and most of what there is to be discussed is completely outside

Evangelical (or Catholic) understanding of the message of the book,

the symbolism in it is Mesopotamian up and down the line,

but that is a subject for another essay........

As a wild guess, Jeremiah is also in your copy of the Bible.

He was also unhappy with Goddess veneration as he found it

and was not at all reluctant to be critical. Hence crowds of women

who opposed Jeremiah when he spoke with 'Jewish' exiles in Egypt

who had fled from Jerusalem when the Babylonians invaded.

The women said that none of that would  have happened had the

people remained true to their "ancient customs,"  when they all

(some large percentage anyway)  "offered sacrifices to the

Queen of Heaven."  These sacrifices, viz, gifts, included

baking crescent cakes (Jeremiah 44:19) in the image of the

Goddess, the female deity in question  being Ishtar

since that was her symbol.  What we call the 'star' (planet)

Venus, the ancient peoples of the Mid East referred to as Ishtar

and, it so happens, some people with acute vision can see

the crescent of 'Venus' on good viewing nights.

Jeremiah didn't like this at all, either, but the point is what these

Ishtar devotees were doing in Jerusalem in the first place.  Why

were there large numbers of devotees to the Queen of Heaven,

that being one of her titles?  And that title, actually "Queen of

Heaven and Earth" in its complete form,  has lasted to our own time

as the prime title of the Virgin Mary, and, yes, many of

the attributes of one are pretty much the same as those

of the other.......

Raphael Patai's point was that it is anachronistic to claim that the

available evidence shows us a people constantly "backsliding"

from pure monotheism into Paganism.  There is no solid historical

evidence at all for some hypothetical "original monotheism" which

was corrupted into Pagan religion later.  Indeed, there was no

monotheistic "Jewish" people at the time of Moses, much less Joshua,

who complained about how their ancestors worshiped "other gods"

besides the Euphrates in the distant past. That is, you can't have it

both ways.  Either the ancestors were monotheists as monotheistic theory

says they must have been, or they were not, as Joshua says was the case.

And why the consistency whereby, when we peel back the layers

of history, do we invariably get some version of Mesopotamian religion

in the midst of the Hebrew people?

Consider the short but important book of Ruth.

You can, of course, limit your reflections about Ruth to normative Christian

texts or sermon material. Trouble in that approach is that it is seldom

if ever remotely scholarly. It concludes with what it assumes at the outset,

namely, Ruth must be a cautionary tale mixed in with a morality tale,

which, as a story, tells us what we already know:  Ruth abandoned

her Pagan gods to become a convert to the true faith. End of story,

the only  lesson to learn is that Pagan gods are waaaaay bad.

However, there happens to be a great deal to learn from this short book.

See the article by Susan Sherman and John Curtis in the January 1968 edition

of the Journal of Near Eastern Studies, "Divine-Human Conflicts in the

Old Testament." A major part of this paper concerns the book of  Ruth.

Without going into details here  -you can look this up yourself if you

have an interest-  it seems that there is a formula for interpreting Ruth

in terms of its source materials. Which is:

Naomi is a stand-in for Inanna

Ruth represents the High Priestess of later eras who, herself, represented
Inanna

Boaz is a stand-in for the Sumerian king as, himself, representing Dumuzi

Oprah represents Ereshkigal, Queen of the Underworld

Ruth, needless to say, came from Moab.

The High God of that country, a next door neighbor to Israel,

was Chemosh, one of the major deities of Sumeria.

This deity is mentioned in Numbers 11: 24.

It isn't exactly far fetched that the ancient Hebrews were familiar with

and shared at least some of the religion of the Mesopotamians.

Just how much  was shared is discussed in detail in a 1984 book

by Savina Teubal, Sarah the Priestess.  Much was, in fact, shared.

Try to remember the obvious:  There was a regular parade

of early patriarchs to Mesopotamia, recorded in Genesis,

to procure appropriate wives. In one recorded case the story

involved a family's "household gods." This refers to a set

of statuettes that most families maintained at altars in

their homes  -the way that some Catholics today maintain

a collection of statuettes representing various saints.

There are references to household gods later in the Bible,

David had his own set, and Hosea also mentions them....

There are many other historical facts that might be discussed

but this should provide some important background

in understanding how the Mesopotamians understood

religious faith, especially how they understood

the Holy Spirit.

(more continuation to follow)

Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community
<RadicalCentrism@googlegroups.com>
Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/RadicalCentrism
Radical Centrism website and blog: http://RadicalCentrism.org

---
"Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community" group.
to radicalcentrism+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.