Ernie:

Interesting argument; I think it is true as far as it goes.  Unfortunately it
also

is one more case of "traditional values," viz, a particular cultural paradigm,

against the world as if there is no other possible alternative than that
paradigm

vs sexual and social anarchy.

A false choice, in other words.

Granted, the "modern" paradigm, call it the Californiation of American,

or the Las Vegasification of America, or what-have-you, is an ungodly mess

and it far more a problem than anything else,  but there really are other ways

to look at 'popular culture' than two choices, one based on Jesus as understood

by Evangelicals and one based on nihilism.

The article also takes the POV that it is a social good to have 10 kids.

Well, OK, in the 19th century that was a viable outlook. Heck, it was a viable
outlook

in Appalachia until ca 1960 or 1970.  But these days, everywhere you look,

almost no families have more than 3 or 4 kids and even that many is

increasingly uncommon.

Evangeline had 4 of her own, another half dozen were adopted, and some other
Evangelicals

have similar values, but this is clearly outside of just about every social norm

in today's America.

And is self-actualization such a bad thing?  I don't see where it is a bad
thing at all,

at least if the concept is linked with social responsibility.  That is where
the problem lies.

We have cultural relativist neo-Marxism in the fashion of Herbert Marcuse

and we have libertarianism, each calling all (not actually all, but to make a
point)

the cultural shots, and that is the story of Left and Right as we know them
today.

In both cases there is no responsibility for anything.

Our elites are ideologically un-religious or even anti-religious, and therein
we find

the problem, not in how elites have few children.  No religion =  ill-advised
values.

In every case?  Not necessarily, but damned often.

At least for me the question is: How can faith become relevant again for modern

men and women?  For me at the center of this "project" there needs to be some
form

of Evangelical values, but maybe a better way to say it is "Biblical values"

-which are not the same thing as values of contemporary Evangelicals,

not up and down the line, anyway.

Somehow the wedding at Cana is perceived by many Evangelicals as extra-Biblical,

as if this central feature of the Gospels isn't actually in the Bible.  After
all,

drinking all that wine is "un-Christian" !!!  Having a good time at a wedding
party

is  un-Christian, too.   Don't take this literally but as a comment to the
effect

that in some forms of Evangelical religion we get faith that is not grounded

in the real world.  And more and more of the young see things this way

and are exiting the churches in large numbers.

It isn't that many (most) Christian virtues are passe, but that this paradigm
of faith

makes less and less sense in the 21st century insofar as there is no
complimentary

model of faith that allows for, well, the wedding at Cana,  viz., having a good
time, etc.,

within the orbit of faith.

It all returns to Paul in 1 Corinthians: If you can do just about anything,
exactly

how do you choose what is good, good for you, and good for the community?

So, where do our elites get their values if they are libertarians or Cultural
Marxists?

Here is a closely related problem:  To get to the place where people can

see the value in what is most intrinsic to faith it is necessary to

discredit libertarianism and Cultural Marxism. But a great many people

are ignorant that they are  -in a de facto sense anyway-  libertarians

or Cultural Marxists

Question for the group:  Where are there Evangelicals  -anyplace-

who have the least interest in knowing how to discredit either

libertarianism or Cultural Marxism?

You tell me.  Except for a precious few intellectuals almost no Evangelicals

even know what actual libertarianism is, let alone Cultural Marxism.

And so, Evangelical faith is being undermined and Evangelicals

are clueless about what to do because, you see, all problems

can be prayed away.  All you gotta do is trust in Jesus.

As important and crucial Jesus is. I don't think that is the best approach to
religious faith.

Religion needs to become a form of education as well as an expression of faith

and, to be candid, I don't see this happening in an Evangelical context.

Do you?

Billy