Ernie:

I agree with you completely that the Church should not be involved in physical
conflict.

I make an exception for the historic past, the Crusades anyway, because, in
that case,

like it or not, the Church had considerable secular power and, in reality,

the Holy Land was overrun by Muslim armies and posed a threat

to all of Christendom if left unchecked.  And shrines like the Church

of the Holy Sepulcher had recently been destroyed by Muslims.

But that was then, this is now. In our era we should do everything possible so
that the Church

is not dragged into physical war. However, a war of ideas is a very different
thing.

The passage in Revelation is important also because it gives us a picture of
Jesus that

shows, as clearly as anyone could want, that Christian faith is not all peace
and harmony

and prayerful walks through flower gardens.  Sometimes you've gotta fight like
hell, so to speak.

Maybe the "fighting" isn't with guns or rockets but with words and media and
advertising

and radio broadcasts and TV and books, etc.,  but it still is a fight.

Could be physical in exceptional circumstances, tho.'

Like the Christians who volunteered to fight  -with guns and bombs-  against
the Islamic State

a few years ago.  At that time the official forces of Iraq, etc, were incapable
of doing much

to prevent the slaughter of Christians (and others) at the hands of violent
Muslim loonies,

so, other Christians from all over the map, formed militias to defend fellow
believers

(and others) from the Muslim criminals.

Its  "High Noon" morality.  If the bad guys are about to take over the town

and wreck the community through violence and crime, and if you  have a gun

and know how to use it, it is your responsibility to do so. No-one else

will do it for you and if you don't act there will be a bloodbath.

I much (MUCH) prefer non-violence and think that non-violent  means

should always be our first preference.  But the days when I was convinced

that non-violence is always possible are over.  That view just isn't true.

Sometimes the choice is fight or die, simple as that.  Worse, if you don't

fight  -physically-  your inaction may result in the deaths of others,

or result in rapes of wives and mothers and daughters, may result in looting

of priceless treasures of a community's heritage, and so forth.  Not to mention

what kind of reaction you would get from others  - wife, friends, your kids-

if you did not fight while your buddies did fight and they saved the community

from destruction. You would lose all respect.

Sure, an exception for a medic who puts his life on the line, but in a fight

what counts the most is actually fighting. If the fight is lost then all the
medics

in the world don't matter very much.

All of this said, what we most need is a theology for a Holy War  -of Ideas.

Billy