Ernie:
To me the fundamental question is this: "Am I living the kind of life that is
good for me?"

Sounds simple but the principle involved goes in several different directions.
"Good for me"necessarily means "good for the people in my life" also. I totally
reject
the libertarian horse poop that we are islands or atoms or billiard balls. Who
any of us
are / is,  always reflects the fact that people are interconnected in all kinds
of ways.

"Good" needs definition , too.  I take this to mean "satisfying" although
sacrifice may be
necessary as part of the process. Sort of Maslow's concept of
self-actualization but
reinterpreted to refer to any of the stages of his system, that is, finding
some way
to make the most of things whether you are in survival mode or that is not a
concern
at all and you are 'climbing a ladder.'

All of this assumes maximization given one's limitations.  Lots of things I
would like to do
and could do them well enough with Bill Gates' level of resources. But I don't
have
that kind of wealth, so the question is maximization given the realities of my
life
as it is.

The point of all this as far as religious faith  goes is that faith is
something I judge
by its effects on the kind of life I actually live.  I do not start with the
ideals advanced
by beliefs but with the life that is mine to live. Because, after all,   beliefs
may be faulty even though they have a life of their own due to tradition.

Hence:  "being a Christian kind of sucks (at least if you're doing it right)"
makes no sense to me.

After all, there are many ways of being a Christian,  and who is to say that
you (me, anyone)
has made the right choice?  We all need to face the fact that we each have our
"Luther moments"
in life. This refers to the fact that he started as a monk and for several
years did everything
conceivable to live up to monkish ideals for Christian faith.  Finally he said
to himself
pretty much what you just said, viz, "this sucks."

What do you (me, anyone) do when something clearly is unsatisfying, or worse?
Best possible answer: Cease and desist. Change course. Find something different.

The problem is that it may be very hard to find a new way of thinking about life
that does the good things in your previous way of thinking, which  you would not
have chosen in the first place unless it did some good things for you.

What is also a problem is that we all have limitations, blind spots, etc, and
whatever
new philosophy or theology or whatever, we end up choosing, will have its own
limitations as well.  That is, we had better face up to the fact that we are
imperfect
and that any quest for perfection will end up in failure.

This applies across the board, to everyone, certainly including Atheists.  Have
they
hit upon a perfect system of thought?  O, sure they have, and circles are
really square
and time doesn't exist and is only an illusion. Uh-huh. :-/

So, what kind of outlook should you choose for yourself? Or me for myself?
And are Atheists all that certain they have made the best possible choice?
If they say they have, what, exactly, makes them feel so sure?

Unless you count Nietzsche, which is questionable because his last years
were a mess and his mind was collapsing, then I have not known or known about
a single Atheist who wasn't hopelessly simple-minded.

I just finished reading Harvey Cox's 1995 book Fire From Heaven, his multi-year
"research project" that involved "study" of Pentecostals all over the world
even if
most of his attention centered on the USA.  As he reported, it did not end up
as an academic research project, the book is filled with stories about the
people he met
and became friends with. Still, it is a scholarly book and is crammed with
useful
information. All of which raises questions, unintended by Cox,  about any
religion
anyone might choose for himself.

That is, any theological stand one takes, which may not even be regarded as
"theology,"
will have real world consequences. Like pre-mil beliefs, which condition people
to be
fatalists about life. Except that people are people, not algorithms, and
pre-mils
may do some things you would expect of a post-mil, and vice versa. Yet
there is a predisposition on the part of pre-mils, like the early Pentecostals,
toward disengagement from politics, ignoring the whole schmeer because,
so it is believed, Christ will return any day now, so why bother counting noses
or studying DC policy debates?

This attitude, or set of values, may now exist independent of pre-mil beliefs
even if that is where they first came from.  It gets enshrined in doctrine and
it no longer matters where it originated.

For a post-mil concerned with doing something to help bring about the Kingdom,
however small it may be, all that stuff matters because that stuff is exactly
what
has to be dealt with if you are going to get anything done in the real world.

Which returns us to the beginning. My test for myself is:
"Am I living the kind of life that is good for me?"

This assumes the real world.    NOT the next (hypothetical) world beyond the
grave.

So I let the next life take care of itself with no confidence at all that I know
anything at all about  what it may be, or even IF there is a next life.
Reward? Punishment? I don't have time to worry about those kinds of questions.
But if there is a God like that discussed in the Bible, then I have
every confidence he (they?) will be fair   -as long as I have been honest
with myself, anyway.

So:   "Is it really that bad if I lie to myself?"

Well, yeah. It can make all the difference in the world about your "quality of
life"
and maybe the only life you will ever have.

Every so often the Christian Atheists of yore were right on target.
But I'm really a Christian Agnostic, not something else.

Billy

PS:
"While I've learned a lot from the Buddhist and stoic traditions, Christianity
(for all its flaws) is the only system I've found that gives me the courage
to face the fact that the evil I see outside of me also lives within me."

Excellent point.