I think it's when I use Spotty but I'm not sure.

Please try to figure this one out, because it's crucial.

I can change tracks, but either the squeezebox's sleep screen is shown,
or the previous album art, instead of the actual album art of the track
playing.

Using Spotty? Or anything?

Music sound stops after 25 or so, but I can still see track progression
continuing on the server.

What kind of player? Where is LMS running?

Also Spotty plays all tracks at 705kbps (converted to FLAC), even if I
specify 92 or 128kbps in the options.

This is just a display "issue": all data, no matter what input bitrate, is converted to FLAC or PCM. You only get to see the bitrate of the stream sent to the player, not the one you download.

--

Michael