Hi,

I have three Squeezebox devices, a UE Smart Radio, an older Squeezebox
Radio and a Squeezebox Touch. To my dismay, the newest of the three, the
UE Smart Radio packed in completely. No display, no sound (not even a
little 'click' in the speaker when you connect it to a power source), no
nothing! 

Given that there is no official support for the hardware anymore, I had
a bit of a go at it, trying to figure out what's wrong. My first guess
was the power adapter and/or battery, but both seem to work fine as far
as I can tell/measure (reasonable voltage across the terminals).
However, after taking the radio completely apart, I could not find any
voltage at any of the various components soldered to the PCB, so I still
suspect that the fault is rather basic and has something to do with the
power circuitry. Is there any documentation for the PCB or experience
with this kind of fault?

So far I have mainly tried to compare the (working) Squeezebox Radio
with the broken UE Smart Radio (without breaking the former). I always
thought the hardware is practically identical and was surprised to find
a few differences. In my Squeezebox Radio the rechargeable battery is
plugged directly into a socket on the PCB. For the UE Smart Radio, it is
plugged into a connector on the inside of the battery cover, from where
a cable leads on to the PCB. I opened the little connector box just to
find that it contains no active components, just a small PCB connecting
the input socket to the output cable?! All connectors have the same
shape (i.e. you can bypass the connector box) and the batteries also
look exactly the same. In fact, despite the fact that I bought the UE
Radio more than a year later, the batteries are dated only a few month
apart (or even the same?)! Any idea what has changed here and why? What
I also found surprising is that the "new" battery does not seem to work
in the old radio and vice versa. Something must have changed in the
supply circuitry - or the battery and radio gave up at the same time!

Anyhow, I would appreciate any insight into how to revive a dead UE
Smart Radio. The other two feel lonely ...


------------------------------------------------------------------------
mucbox's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=68412
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=109423

_______________________________________________
Radio mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.slimdevices.com/mailman/listinfo/radio

Reply via email to