mrw wrote:
> I recall that jive_alsa was "bit perfect" (subject to 4 debug hash bytes
> of no significance), and that libasound.so.2.0.0 was bit perfect (I was
> trying out a few later versions). I did have to define the original
> build directory, somewhere in the poky conf file, I think, to get the
> build tree the same - it is certainly baked into jive_alsa. Makes binary
> comparison somewhat easier.
Could you provide details on the change(s) the next time you have the
aws instance running?

ralphy wrote:
> First step. I'm going to POC the aac decoder using the current 7.7.3
> squeezeplay with no other changes so it can be installed in place of the
> current firmware jive binary for testing.

I've built a drop in replacement for the radio /usr/bin/jive 7.7.3r16676
binary with the fdk-acc decoder.  The wma decoder and defunct libspotify
based Spotify applet private features are missing as discussed.  I've
been playing my usual aac radio streams as needed and playing through my
~1400 m4a local library files when idle for the last couple days without
issue.  CPU usage seems on par with the stock jive binary during aac
playback.  It would be great to have others test as well.  The aac
decoder code is identical to what was added to the squeezeplay github
sources in August 2019 so has had a fair bit of testing already. It's
applied as a patch file in the squeezeplay recipe. The random album menu
and compatibility patches are also included in the squeezeplay recipe.

The binary is available in the 'squeezeos folder'
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/squeezeos/) on
sourceforge.  The bitbake recipes, sources and patches needed to compile
jive are there as well.

mrw wrote:
> I guess native ogg/flac might be good to have on the Radio if that
> stream format gains significant traction. But perhaps not at the expense
> of the the other 'private' functionality

I also have a 7.8.0 jive which includes ogg/flac support as well as aac
and does work with the 7.7.3 firmware but libFLAC needs to be replaced
and libogg installed in /usr/lib from the 7.8 rootfs,  otherwise jive
crashes when you attempt to play an ogg/flac stream.   I have noticed
that jive CPU usage was higher in general and wonder if it could be
related to not having applied the 7.8.0 lua enhancements.  More
investigations needed.

Note that for a 7.8.0 firmware build the squeezeplay-compatibility.patch
must be removed from my squeezeplay_svn.bb

Ralphy

*1*-Touch, *5*-Classics, *3*-Booms, *1*-UE Radio
'Squeezebox client builds'
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/) 'donations'
(https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=LL5P6365KQEXN&lc=CA&item_name=Squeezebox%20client%20builds&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donate_SM%2egif%3aNonHosted)
always appreciated.