Ran into this issue just now, after updating LMS to 8.1.0. Do I
understand that I'm going to have to install 7.x on some other box to
get Patch Installer>Version Comparison Fix to work?

Did this work:

"I've just committed a change to LMS8 which would hopefully discover a
non-patched Radio and return a fake version number to that Radio
(7.999.999 - almost 8.0.0 :-)). In addition to faking the version
number, LMS would show infos and a link to a description of the patching
procedure in the player settings and in Settings/Information."

That was from back in April and I'm encountering all this today.