I have not observed the behavior of one synced radio going to full
volume.  However, I have observed one radio change its volume slightly.
It was noticeable that is was not just a change in the loudness of the
music, but not so much that I had to change the volume on the radio.   I
thought it might have been due to the bass sound issue, but it happened
when both radios are using the community firmware which is supposed to
fix the bass sound issue.

On the topic of syncing, a few days ago the two Radios got about 1-2
seconds out of sync.  A pause did not solve the problem.  It took
several restart from the beginning of the song get them back in sync.
The server LMS 8.2 running on PiCore 8.0.

Sorry if this detracts from your question.

Paul