And... we have a winner!

You were right to challenge my guess, that the power button was somehow
to blame. This was not the behavior you'd expect from a "soft-press"
button.
The charger was indeed faulty. Luckily, I had another 18V charger lying
around, and that did the trick. Cherry on the cake: the battery is
probably fine too.

I hadn't even bought my T9 Torx screwdriver yet. That's probably for the
best ;)

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I have been consistently
impressed with the advice I've received here.
Hopefully this thread can help someone else in the future...