agbagb wrote:
> I wonder whether someone could explain to us simple souls why and how
> something that looks like http is in fact https ?  And how easily to
> check if that's the case.  It's something that has obviously flummoxed
> some of us recently.......

An easy way to see it ... take one of those URLs and load it into your
browser.
You will probably find that the audio starts playing - but if you look
at the browser you might see that a padlock has appeared beside the URL
to show that it is now HTTPS not HTTP.
The usual way that this happens is that the remote site issues a
"redirect" (HTTP 301 or 302) to tell the browser that the content is
somewhere else.
The browser then goes there instead.

To see it in action, turn on "Developer" mode (or some similar name) in
your browser and watch the "Network" tab.

Paul Webster
author of \"now playing\" plugins covering radio france (fip etc),
planetradio (bauer - kiss, absolute, scala, jazzfm etc), kcrw, abc
australia and cbc/radio-canada
and, via the extra \"radio now playing\" plugin lots more - see
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?115201-announce-radio-now-playing-plugin