There is an additional issue that occurs when storing the files outside of the
database and that is the speed of access.  After a few years when the folder
that stores the images file grows to thousands of file, Window's  file access
speed shows its ugly head.  You can have several second to simply find and
access the image file.
I am currently working on incorporating these images in a table and have found
almost instantaneous access of the requested records. Although access speed is
the main reason I will be implementing these changes, the security advantages
are enormous.
I do have one important concern about this approach and that is table
corruptions.  I have encounter a propensity to corruption on tables with blob
columns that other tables.  Repairing tables with corrupt blob columns is a
challenging endeavor.  Dependency on backup copies is essential and I foresee
larger size database with additional backup time required.
All in all the future is 64bits and I may move on up on the next version.

Manuel