From: karentellef via RBASE-L [mailto:rbase-l@googlegroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 8, 2016 5:58 AM
To: rbase-l@googlegroups.com
Subject: [RBASE-L] - Printing opinions?

Situation:  RBase X database, upgraded from 6.1 DOS.  They print envelopes,
lots and lots of envelopes, to the upper tray in a small laserjet.  In DOS, it
was just one Print command, so that's what windows does also.  They hated the
DOS command because it takes hours to print these envelopes and of course it
tied up the computer for the entire time.  However, they claim the envelopes
always printed perfectly.

Windows frees up the computer, which they love, but they're getting
non-replicable "hiccups".  They may get 10 envelopes in a row with partial
data, they'll get blank envelopes or some with garbage words...   I'm not a
hardware person but I sure suspect the printer itself.  I asked how much memory
it has, they have no clue and it's "so old" they don't have documentation or
know how to get a setup printout (I'd have to google, I guess)

Your opinion requested:  This goes to the Windows queue as one 500-page
document.   Do you think it would be more "reliable" if I instead set a cursor
and sent 500 one-page documents to the queue?  And if so, should I insert
pauses to let the printer "catch up"?   Or has anyone printed envelopes to a
PDF file?  Does that retain the proper spacing/formatting if then printed to an
envelope tray?

Thanks everyone!  I wish I could just say "buy a new printer" and be done with
it but (1) I want to be as sure as possible that that's the solution, and (2)
they begrudge every penny they spend....

Karen