Thanks, Javier,

Yes, that makes sense even though I checked "everything" "thoroughly" - it's
easy to see what you want to see and not what is there these days.

I will check it and can do so quite easily simple by removing the aliases in
one fell swoop. If the view then works I know where the problem is - I just
have to find it.

However, having got it working I have another problem which I want to resolve
first:

As intimated in my reply to Razzak, I suspected that the view problem was
linked to a grant permissions problem.
With the view working that problem has all but gone away - obviously good - yet
I still have a problem with users and passwords.

As a single user I use four logins simply to create different menus: Public
(view only); ADBB & Alastair (edit, 2 for the rare occasions I need multi-user)
and Owner (everything including delete just to make me more careful!)

None of these users has ever had a password. I select the user from a choose
and just type the name to gain access. I cheat with the Owner selection by
knowing it is a different name to type so that typing ADBB will get me in but
typing Owner won't. It's secure enough for me as nobody else in the house uses
the computer.

The problem that I have now is that, somehow, R:Base seems to think that there
are passwords and nothing I do seems to clear them. Even an unload/load where
the database is recreated with
CREATE SCHEMA AUTHOR Records XYZ
does not clear the problem for me. I have tried SET USER XYZ PASSWORD 1234 but
the command "appears" to be ignored. What I want to do is set the password to
nothing - I've tried NULL, -0-, '', ``, `                  ` (18 spaces) but no
luck so far.

I now presume that R:Base stores usernames and password combinations somewhere
other than in the database - not unreasonable if so.

Regards,
Alastair.