I can only think of the really low-tech way that I do it (because I do the
exact same thing you do)

When running a routine from another place (like calling from another program or
from a menu system), I would do this:
  SET VAR vFromProgram = 'Overnightrun'
  RUN whatever.rmd
  CLEAR VAR vFromProgram

Then whatever.rmd would do
  SET VAR vFromProgram TEXT
  IF vFromProgram IS NULL (or '= Overnight') THEN
     do whatever
  ENDIF

Karen