>From what I have heard on these and other boards, you should be able
to do this without trouble.

However, when things go bad, they can pose quite a problem

I set up my Hilsen with the extended length Honjo hammered from Velo-
Orange.  For the most part, I did not have problems riding on the
crushed limestone trails in Northern Illinois.  Following a fairly
heavy rain, some slurry got pulled up under the front fender.
Apparently there was enough of it, and it stuck well enough to the
tire to catch the Honjo fastening bolt that extends through the top of
the fender into the fork crown and attaches to the gizmo (I imagine it
has a name but I do not know it) that loops around the brake center
bolt.  The brake center bolt bent as a result.

I was forced to remove the fender and play around with the brakes to
get them at an angle that would at least provide some stopping power
but not rub on the rims or tires.  I had to buy a replacement bolt
from Paul before I could get the bike back in fully working order.

Again, from what I have heard mine was a fairly unique mishap.  But it
was quite a pain.  Presumably it would not have happened were I using
the less attractive SKS break away fenders.