I haven't responded because I've been so busy, but I neglected to
mention that my wife rides a 59 cm Romulus and the 56 cm Glorius.  I
can't measure it right now, but I think the Romulus has a 57.5 cm
effective top tube, about 1.5 cm shorter than the imaginary top tube
of the Glorius.  So I think if I go with a stem on the Glorius that is
1 cm shorter than her Romulus, she can use drops.

Of course, her stem on the Romulus has a  7 cm extension, which is
pretty short.  I don't know if a 6 cm stem has any disadvantages.

Thanks for all the responses, btw.

Dave