> The fire trails around here (I live kind of near Walnut Creek) are
> roughly equivalent to dirt or gravel roads I've ridden in Minnesota,
> British Columbia, Wisconsin, Oregon and other places that don't
> immediately come to mind. They're just dirt roads, nothing extremely
> technical, and I suspect that most Riv owners who have similar roads
> in their area ride them.

Anne:

Excellent observation.  I do not think Illinois is the only state
where most of its bicycle trails are crushed limestone.  Obviously
Illinois trails are not as up and down as California fire trails, but
they are every bit as rough.

As I have said oft times before, a Rivendell with a slick tire like a
Schwalbe Kojak is a very quick bike.  Maybe not Tour of California
fast.  But then people are not buying Rivendells to race the Tour of
California.

[dougpnirv]

Agreed.  Fire roads are designed for large, clumsy, not-off-road fire
trucks, so they're really not too hard on a bicycle.

At 10 mph, a decent dirt road is little different from a paved one, and
usually less traffic.  Take a look at this link for typical fire roads in
Southern California.  David Estes probably has the exact stats but I'm
guessing we probably did 20 miles like this and only had to push our bikes
for a couple of hundred yards up a loose, sandy hill.  FWIW, we had 2
tandems on the ride with sub-teenage stokers.

http://flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/3298375779/in/set-72157614275209826/

dougP