Tim, I think the poor braking is due to my inexperience at brake set-
up.  I never set up cable and housing before for this type of brake or
brake lever, and I'm not sure how to terminate the housing into the
lever body. I probably need to find a picture to determine the proper
method.

Last night, I adjusted the front brake by following the advice here,
increasing the cable tension by pulling more through the brake pinch
bolt.  I also adjusted the pads a bit.  It improved the braking, but
evidently I need to adjust some more because it is still weak.

Dave