What I love II: I think Grant's response is pitch-perfect.  I'm a
college professor, and I spill my guts into teaching - probably too
much, if I am to take seriously my research agenda glaring back at me
in the corner.  But nevertheless, a student or two will pick something
apart about my teaching.  Maybe its accurate, usually its unfair.  And
despite overwhelming positive feedback, I'll remember those two
comments for a looooong time.  They make me bitter.  Make me think the
whole endeavor isn't worth it and that I should just work exclusively
on research.  But I keep coming back and try to improve.  I've never
seen a more transparent and earnest operation, despite the flack they
(and we) get for trying to do the Right Thing.  Rivendell is counter-
cultural - not just in cycling, but in a globalized economy.  Its
something I'm proud to be part of - in the little ways I suppose I'm
part of it.

Riv runs contrary to the "race to the bottom" logic of contemporary
capitalism.  Lots of people I know - maybe its my age (35) - are
turning to craft and supporting craft producers.  In these cases,
stuff costs more because its worth it - down the line from the
materials, labor, and livelihood supported by craft.  I'm all for
that.

In terms of flow of information, I'm kind of a luddite in these
matters.  There's fun in the wait for news about something - and fruit
born dwelling with things without the constant flow of information.  I
can't tell you how often I check out the Riv site, this one, and
Cyclofiend and look at the same stuff over and over and enjoy it.  Its
like going to the library as a kid and looking longingly at the
interesting pictures of places far away over and over again.

Anyway, as with anything one might find interest in, there's always
going to be some things that might improve.
Esteban