A huge +1 for the Sunday Afternoons hats (http://
www.sundayafternoons.com/index.cgi)-- esp. the Adventure. The stiff
brim in the front covers everything that you would want covered
without interfering with vision too much and the soft piece in the
back protects the back completely--and they are made in the good ole'
USA to boot.  In Tucson, where it gets hot and sunny sometimes, you
see more and more people with theses, esp out on the trails. I have
had mine for years with no problem. The only downside is the style
isnt for everyone, a small price to pay for the protection. You can
pay more, but I dont think you can get more.

Don't get me wrong, the Tilly's are great hats, but just dont offer
the same kind of protection (same for Filson).

Cheers!
cm