Well there is Ibex in Vermont, but they are primarily known for winter
gear.  Ibex does make (or more precisely has a factory in China make)
organic cotton long shorts.  I like wearing natural cloth whenever
possible, but if the cotton is too thick, it will be uncomfortable on
longer rides.

The Midwest and East Coast does not otherwise seem to have the
critical mass of bike centric merchandisers you have out West.
Certainly the market is here and growing.  I imagine one factor is the
West Coast entered the bicycle renaissance earlier than we here out
East and your companies had too much of a head start - with the web
making their stuff easier to get here - for local business to catch
on.