I tried that.  Didn't work.  Even tried the upper hole in the rack for
the fenders.  Also didn't work.  Ended up using the (Tubus) spacers
and put the fenders on the lower eyelets.  The fender line is not
perfect.  But the biggest problem was the upper nut hitting the rack
strut.  Worked out by canting the rack slightly forward.  See this
photo: http://tinyurl.com/mlsx9u  (A couple other shots were taken on
the ride tonight with the new setup.)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  Now to get this bike out for a
longer ride.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN