What size tires do you have?
I ride a 53 Bleriot prototype with 170mm cranks.  I rode the first
4,000 miles or so with Nifty Swifties(32mm), and did have occasional
pedal strike when pedaling through turns.  I have been riding Schwalbe
Marathons(40mm) for about 8 months and have never had pedal strike
with them.  The larger tires lifted the bb a bit.
I have been riding seriously(commuting, touring, road rides) for
around 9-10 years, so I tend to be very careful when pedaling around
turns.  In fact I never had pedal strike when riding a fixed gear for
many years.
So, while I do agree that pedal strike can be avoided by proper
technique, I also attribute my pedal strike to the low bottom bracket/
narrower tires on my Bleriot.
Hope this helps.
Kris
Austin, TX