In a message dated 9/2/2009 8:11:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mhech...@gmail.com writes:

The most  important thing you need for fun riding is the getting the
right attitude.  The most important race is the human race and the goal
of life is not to  make everything end sooner.  There will always be
riders out there who  can go faster than you and others who will
benefit when you slow down a say  a word of encouragement.

   I don't disagree with any of the above. It's all very noble  but the
bottom line is that he wants to keep up with his friends on fast one  trick
ponies and, I agree, Homer is not the bike for that. I love my Homer but I  use
him when I want to meander down a country lane at a comfortable pace.  When
I ride "fast" club 50 milers or centuries I use my Rambouillet or
Specialized Roubaix.
   I agree with the suggestion someone had made yesterday. I  would order
the new Roadeo and have two sets of tires available for fast or off  road
rides. The Roadeo looks like it's going to be light and therefore fast,  steel
and thus comfortable, certainly beautiful,  and capable of using  tires that
can handle the dirt.
   I've just recently gone over to the new Challenge tires (27  mm) and, my
god, they are wonderful. They're very fast and super comfortable. I  like
them much better than the Grand Bois. How they would handle off road I  don't
know.
Bill
Louisville, KY