I use a platform carrier for two adult bikes. I like it a lot. My advice is to
absolutely go with a 2"receiver for hauling 4 bikes. That is a lot. also, on a
smaller car like the Subaru, consider a riser for the receiver that will lift
the rack another 4 to 6 inches. With  a load of bikes sticking that far out in
back, you will encounter scraping when driving in and out of pitched driveways
into gas stations and elsewhere. the riser will go a long way toward
eliminating that. Also, some states will be picky about using any sort of bike
cover that obscures the tail lights of the vehicle. A small car like a suaru is
one such car that would be problematic in that regard.