"just be aware that there are a lot of steep hills in the dirt ... be
prepared to walk some"

I would love the challenge.  I have many years on the mountain bike
and for the past year have been using my cross bike as a mountain bike
with 38c tyres.  Thanks for the warning - I'm even more excited to get
out there now!