I ride my Sam everywhere I go, which is mostly to and from work and around
town, about 2000 miles a year. When I was building it up I got the
26/40/bashguard Sugino crank from Riv and an 11-28 (32?) 8 speed cassette.
I delayed putting a front derailer on it until I saw my usage patterns.
After a year I can see: I am in gears 5-7 95% of the time. I go up to 8
occasionally and grind in 1 or 2 occasionally on my rare long rides.
I have "stick" shifted into the granny front once on an insanely steep and
long (for around here) hill last summer.
I had not thought about the stress on chain or rear derailer of the 40-28
combo, but I use it so rarely enough that I am not stressed.

So far, the no front derailer, have a granny if I need it, basically 1x8
system is working.

Edwin in hilly, but not mountainous Nashville, where I mostly ride around
town and near-in country.