>From a purely aesthetic perspective I would want to balance out the amount
of Stem extension, Seat-post extension, Headtube length and wheel
proportion, all the while trying to get a bike that fits and rides well.

While I like the look of an 80's square dimensioned bike I would (and have)
had to use a Tallux or a Dirt Drop to get the bars even with the saddle
where I want them. I would also need a short stem extension to go along
with the largest frame I could straddle with not much seatpost showing.

So overall I prefer about a 2-3° slope, with a lug extension like Rivendell
does. This gives a bit more than a fist full of post, a bit extra standover
and a stem that goes up about as much as it goes out. I'm also OK with the
looks of slopes up to about 6°, after that it starts to look mountain
bikey, which still looks good if you run 2"+ knobbies.

With the fat tires I prefer I also think 650b looks best on a Med frame,
with the added bonus of ridding great.

-Dave J