I've used various silver shortcage Shimano derailers from the mid-90's
onward which work well, look nice, and can be had for not too much money
(as long as you avoid new-in-package from crazy people who think they're
""vintage" and "rare"). A search for "Shimano 9-speed road" will bring up a
good selection.

Joe Bernard
Vallejo, CA.