George: the OP's -- or OPs' -- negative perception of the Ram is entirely a
personal matter. (For the record, it is also entirely legitimate.) What is
in question is very obviously NOT a collection of Ram qualities alone, but
a collection of experiences that certain riders have of their Rams. Or
perhaps more precisely, we are discussing the relationship between certain
riders and their Rams.

Tires have been mentioned as one variable. There are probably an indefinite
number of others, among which is a subset consisting of the many ways in
which a rider's build, pedaling style, gearing choices, cockpit and saddle
setup, and so on, affect the efficiency with which he can interact with the
bike, and, in addition, the way the bike feels when he is interacting with
it.

I' guessing, but I am no merely groping in the dark, since I've at least
started to see patterns in the relationship between "planing" and the
characteristics of those who experience it. One is pedaling style. Someone
with a mashing pedaling style may well be less prone to benefit from a
light-tubed frame; he may not be able to experience "planing" and may well
find that a given stout-tubed bike performs very well. Someone who pedals
fast in low gears may well find that same bike dead feeling.

Another possibility: geometry and setup in relation to a rider's build and
pedaling style. Again, no hard data but enough data to raise legitimate
"suspicions".

Me, I find my blue-category Ram perfectly normal. It's not the fastest
feeling bike I own, but it's not by any means the slowest. My erstwhile Sam
Hill felt more sluggish even with Jack Brown Greens (and the SH's "feeling"
was well within normal by my experience and standards -- just not what I'd
choose as a fast road bike. I sold it for wholly other reasons, not the
lack of spriteliness). Likewise, the Fargo shod with 35 mm Kojaks felt
considerably less spritely than the Ram shod with the very same pair.

Of which speaking: can anyone tell me the particular specs of the tubing
for a 1973 Motobecane Grande Record? I know it is light 531, but what gauge
and butts? I ask because of all the bikes I've owned in the last 5-6 years,
this had the lightest frame of any bike that I've owned (frameset
considerably lighter by heft, anyway, than either of my 2 remaining Riv
customs), but I didn't experience any particular feeling of speed with it
(granted there are all sorts of other factors here), while a stout tubed
and very definitely heavier Herse that others had found sluggish (I think I
am accurate with that qualifier) felt, to me, particularly spritely.

Oh my, all of this hurts my little head.

Patrick Moore, fighting spring headwinds and wishing dead-feeling frames
were his only obstacle in ABQ, NM.