J: my solution to the matter of a "beater that can be stolen without
tragedy" has been to find old but nice bikes that as closely as possible
imitate my "good" ones. The old Motobecane that I sold to Eric Norris (it
was stolen in that the price was a "steal") was one such, and I have had
many others. One great fun one was an old sport-tourer Raleigh Technium
that I picked up very cheap and built even cheaper. i don't know why they
bothered with the aluminum, since it was a huge tank, and as noodley as a
-- noodle; but with fattish 32 mm tires and a 68" fixed gear, it was a fun
ride.

I realize that one can have fun riding just about anything -- well, there
are some exceptions -- but life is too short to waste most of your riding
on something that isn't fun enough.

My gawd, man, get yourself a bike that fits, at least!

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Kieran J <kjo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Blakcloud, you and me both know the knarly streets of Toronto eats nice
> bikes for breakfast. I too have gradually eased my stress on having a bike
> stolen and/or damaged when out and about, but it has taken awhile. I've
> only had a bike stolen once - an old Bianchi that I thought I had locked
> up, but hadn't (at Yonge and Dundas Square where all the crackheads hang
> out, no less). So more on me than anyone else. D'oh!
>
> I also get the desire to ride a bike you like. My 95% of riding
> (commuting) is done on a too-small Cross Check, which certainly is my
> least-fav bike in my stable. On top of that, I have a porteur rack and big
> Wald on the front of it, which needless to say, does not improve the
> handling. BUT! if something happened to it, I would also be the least upset
> and would get over it. I also rode it right through the winter, and had few
> qualms exposing it to all of that hell.
>
> After riding the Ram all weekend, it sure was hard going back onto that
> Surly tank Monday morning. But so it goes..
>
> KJ
>

> On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 6:28:08 AM UTC-4, blakcloud wrote:
>
>> This weeks experiment, well maybe the next two weeks, will be using my
>> Sam Hillborne as a commuter. I built the bike up as a leisurely Sunday bike
>> to ride with my wife though I started thinking the bike could do more.
>>
>> I was inspired by a thread last year "Could you own one bike?" The answer
>> for me was no, but I could trim down the number of bikes I own. I want to
>> minimize and plus I don't have room as I live in a condo and bike parking
>> has become an issue.
>>
>> There hasn't been a lot of talk about using Riv's as commuters on this
>> board and even Rivendell doesn't seem to push the commuting aspect for
>> their bikes. The Sam to me, might make a good commuter. My commutes are 60
>> minutes each way, so nothing drastic. It is set up with Albatross's and a
>> Brooks B67, plus the required basket and Mark's rack. The bike currently
>> has Hetre's but I think I will use a pair of Marathons that I also own. I
>> will pick up SKS Longboards today and if the experiment works, a new dynamo
>> front wheel will be built. Ninety five percent of my cycling is commuting
>> so I really need to like the bike I ride. I am hoping the Sam will fit that
>> bill.
>>

>>  --

Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and letters that get interviews.
Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, Nouvelle Mexique, Etats Unis