Hi Jim,

I would argue, cheap hubs work just as well as the most expensive hubs, so
any modern-designed, clean hub will maximize function. Maintenance of a
loose bearing hub is ~15 minutes, once a year or so, so I would argue that
is trivial too. Then it comes down to what appeals to you for its
cool/bling/status factor. I like interesting different front hubs and have
an old Mavic and three Suntour front hubs, Rivendell used to sell for $25,
that I like to look at when I am not riding but am staring at my own bikes.
I can say I never think about my hubs when I am riding.

I like to put my money into more expensive frames, cranks, rims, tires, and
saddles & handlebars that fit.
Chains, hubs, derailers, cassettes, bottom brackets, headsets are where I
cut costs when needed.