My 42 mm Compass Babyshoe Pass Extralight tires were great on 85% of the
gravel sections. There were a number of places where the gravel was very
sandy and soft, where everybody seemed to have trouble. Wider tires would
have been useful there.

On the other hand, 30% of the ride was on paved roads, where any knobbies
would slow you down considerably. It's no coincidence that the two fastest
finishers were on road tires (38 and 42 mm wide). My current hypothesis is
that wider high-performance road tires (if they were in fact available)
would be ideal for this event, but considering the currently available
options, I'd choose the same tires again if I was going for a fast time.

Jan Heine
Compass Bicycles Ltd.
www.compasscycle.com

Follow our blog at http://janheine.wordpress.com/