If it were me, I'd stick to the south (Oregon) side the whole way to
Deschutes River. SR 14 is fairly busy, just two lanes with minimal
shoulders in places, and also feature a series of tunnels. Right now you
can avoid riding on I-84 from Troutdale to Hood River for all but about 15
miles between Cascade Locks and Hood River. (They just completed a section
of the Historic Columbia River Hwy trail right around Bonneville, and the
state and other agencies seem to really be serious about completing the
missing link of trail in a shortish amount of time.)

Staying on SR-14 also means missing out on one of the best sections of the
old Historic Columbia River Hwy: between Hood River and The Dalles. The
Rowena Curves are pretty awesome, and you don't want to miss the chance
that the ex-mayor of Mosier taking a pic of you in front of the Mosier
Totems.

-Shawn