On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM, Matthew J <matthewj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem with nylon, or using the King / Nitto without straps as a
> fancy half clip, is the rider can flatten rather than get the foot into
> them when accelerating from a stand still such as from a traffic signal.

I rode toeclips for 15+ years and I don't have problems with flattening the
cage.  So I think it's a matter of what you are accustomed to and
proficient with.  I see people struggling to get into clip-ins all the
time, so I don't think it's that different.

I still ride toeclips on my tandem.  I like to wear normal shoes and
toeclips are the best way to ride with what you brung, if you want to be
attached to the pedals.

The rest of the time, I do ride flat pedals because I don't think I am
losing that much by not being attached to the pedals.  Most of the time I
am able to keep up with all but the fastest rando riders on the long
distance rides I do.  If I am not able to keep up with the medium pace
group, the foot/pedal interface has never been the problem.  It's usually
not having had slept enough, eaten enough, drank enough, or something else
going wrong with the engine.