Yes, snug buckled with the straps expanded as far as possible. When
unbuckled, there's no issue, and I think would be fine for 32". You could
redo the buckle, if the fit was otherwise fine.

But maybe the medium would be better if the other dimensions are close
enough?

(Hiking and camping would be great-- and colder weather riding.)