Interesting. Thinking about my own bikes (700c Surly LHT, 26" Surly Trucker
DeLuxe, old 26" GT Karakoram), I see a blending of the influences of three
men: Grant Petersen, Jan Heine, and Peter White. It has been argued that
the Surly LHT geometry was broadly derived from the Atlantis; whether
that's true or not, the relaxed geometry/sturdy steel/wide tire clearance
is certainly compatible with Grant's approach. I run Riv pedals (Grip Kings
or Thin Gripsters) on all three bikes, Jan's tires on the two Surlys (38mm
Compass Barlow Pass on the 700c, Compass 1.75" on the 26"); on the GT, I
run Rivish Schwalbe Big Bens in the warm weather, and studded Nokian W240s
(courtesy of Peter White) during ice bike season. The GT Karakoram's
original flat bars have been enhanced with Cane Creek bar ends, again
courtesy of Peter White. The build of the Trucker DeLuxe included some
Rivish components, including wide Nitto Noodles, a Sugino crank, and NOS
Sun Tour friction shifters.

Grant, Jan, and Peter, thanks for your sage guidance.

rod