I was once in an aisle of a sports shop and there were two fellows, one
advising (the expert friend), one looking to buy high performance clip-in
road shoes for his commute.  I casually mentioned that flat pedals would
work well and he could ride to work in his regular shoes and that had
worked well for me.  Otherwise a shoe with a recessed cleat would work
better than a pure road shoe as sometimes a person needs to dismount.  I
wasn't trying to take over, just sharing based on several years of
experience.

I won't be doing that again!  My casual opinion was a threat to the
expert-friend and he responded as though threatened.  The innocent friend
now had to take the side of his expert buddy etc.  I walked away without
getting anymore involved.

Anyway - what if I'm wrong?

IanA.